Candie Road, St Peter Port GY1 1UG
Once part of a private estate, the award-winning, restored Victorian Candie Gardens offer spectacular views across St Peter Port harbour and our sister islands of Herm, Sark and Jethou, along with a rare example of a late 19th century public flower garden. They are home to the oldest known heated glass-houses in the British Isles, which date back to the late eighteenth century. In the gardens, aside from the beautiful flowers, lawns, and fish ponds, you will find a museum, art gallery, and a cafe housed in a Victorian bandstand.
The Lower Gardens were reconditioned and restored in 1998-99. A wide variety of plants from all over the world are homed here, which visitors to the garden can discover. The gardens also feature a statue of Victor Hugo, presented on 7th July 1914. This was presented to Guernsey by the French Government with thanks for the generosity shown to Hugo during his exile in the island.
Facilities & Amenities
- Close to - Guernsey Museum at Candie, Victoria Tower
- On bus routes - (5 minute walk from bus stops) 31, 41, 42, 61, 71, 81
- Parking available - Monument Gardens ('the Odeon' - 5 mins walk) and Beau Sejour (5 mins walk)
- Holders of disabled permits may park in the grounds (arrange this call 01481 726518).
- Toilets - within Guernsey Museum. Accessible facilities available (NB Users of wheelchairs and pushchairs should note that the Gardens include some steep paths)
Contacts & Social Media